Saturday, April 14, 2012

Conflict Resolution Example

This example is not related to the healthcare field, because I have very little experience working in the healthcare field. This is an example of a time when I was working in a restaurant. The restaurant had been going through a lot of changes, and we had just gotten a new general manager. Our team was really close, and we all worked well together, but this general manager had a few ideas that we did not really agree with. A group of managers, myself included, got together to discuss what was going on, and we decided we thought the way things were already being done was the most efficient way of doing things. So we stuck with what we had been doing. I feel that we did not handle this situation in the best way. I think a more effective way of doing things would have been to address our concerns with the new general manager, rather than going behind his back and deciding we were right. The manager did not stick around long, and I really do not blame him for leaving, but I feel like if we had listened and tried to incorporated his ideas we may have been a stronger team, and maybe would have done things more efficiently. One thing I learned from looking back on this situation is that just because people do not think the way I do, that does not mean they are wrong in their thinking. There is always something to learn. Maybe we would have learned that we really were right, but even if that were the case, this could have turned into a learning experience for the general manager. In conflict situations there is not always a right and a wrong, but there is usually someone who learns something they did not already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment